“WE MADE PLASTIC. WE DEPEND ON IT. NOW WE’RE DROWNING IN IT.” – Laura Parker, National Geographic

According to a ground-breaking study published in sciencemag.org, 8 million metric tons of plastic ends up in the oceans every year. That is the equivalent to five grocery bags of plastic rubbish for every foot of coastline around the globe. We’ve all heard the oft-quoted prediction that by mid-century, the oceans will contain more plastic waste than fish, ton for ton – the ever-growing consequence of society’s mass production, consumption and discarding mentality.

The miracle material that is plastic – versatile, strong and relatively cheap to produce has revolutionised life as we know it. But the benefits of plastic being so durable also mean it’s a product incredibly slow to degrade – and as more than 40 per cent of plastic is used just once, you start to realise that our growing ‘problem’ is now of epidemic proportions.

It would be easy to feel discouraged, audibly sigh and throw our hands up in the air in surrender – what could turn the tide on this wave of waste? How could one person, one family, really make a difference in a problem that feels too far gone?

Enter, Recycled Polyethylene Terephthalate.  RPET is an innovative solution, currently taking the manufacturing world by storm as it’s being used to ‘re-make’ bottles and food jars through to fabric products like blankets, shoes, insulation – even car parts!  RPET fabric uses plastic bottles to produce a recycled polyester fibre which not only reduces landfill, it causes far less air pollution than making new PET. Recycled PET is a strong, durable performance fibre as it wicks away moisture and guarantees easy care.

Without sounding too ‘preachy’ it needs to be said that as a Live Clean Tribe, a collective who do care about the health and wellbeing of our community and our planet, we have a responsibility to live out our convictions in the large and in the small. Clean Up Australia statistics show that currently only 3% of plastic is recycled and the remaining 97% goes into landfill or our waterways and oceans.

Every choice counts.

So, here’s one small but easy choice. We can each do our bit and lessen our contribution to plastic waste by not using plastic bags for the weekly grocery shopping – all while saving the planet by repurposing existing plastic waste! Bright, fun and wonderfully useful, our Modere shopping totes are made from recycled PET so they are double the win, for you AND the environment!